Currency: Lesotho Loti (LSL)
The South African Rand is accepted 1:1 as legal currency across the country. ATMs which accept international debit and credit cards (Visa & Mastercard) to withdraw cash can be found in the capital Maseru. Your card needs to have a chip and pin. Cash is the most preferred method of payment in Lesotho, but it is possible to pay by credit card, especially in hotels, large western-style supermarkets or in shops and restaurants in Maseru. Debit cards are not always accepted for direct payments.
While changing money at a Bureau de Change is possible, it is not recommended as it is often a complicated and lengthy process.
Please be sure to advise your bank before you travel that you will be using your card in a different country as they may block access to your card if they do not know that you are travelling.
For current exchange rates please use this website.
Official languages: Sesotho and English
Visa Requirements: Depending on nationality, please check visa requirements here.
Please also consult the embassy or consulate for any updates before departure, especially when traveling with children.
Independence: 4 October 1966 from Britain
Religion: The population of Lesotho is estimated to be around 90% Christians. Members of other religions and members of traditional indigenous religions comprise the remaining 10% of the population.
Souvenirs: Jewellery made of seeds and clay beads, chess sets made of copper and ebony; wool and mohair rugs; tapestries and textiles; angora sweaters and shawls; rock paintings and pottery.
Agricultural products: Corn (maize), beans, wheat, sorghum, and peas
Industries: Farming and animal husbandry, as well as small-scale industries that include clothing, footwear, textiles, food processing and construction
Best time to visit: Temperate climate with well-marked seasons. Summer is the rainy season; 85% of rainfall occurs from October to April, especially in the mountains. Snow occurs in the highlands from May to September. The hottest period is from January to February.